Full of flavour, (and a fair few health benefits too…) we count down our top 5 reasons why Garlic is the champion of spices!
- It tastes delicious! – Whether on a pizza, in a sauce or topping your favourite bread, we are sure you will agree that the sweet smokiness garlic improves the taste of almost anything!
- Vampire Fighting – superstition says that garlic is all that is needed to fight off evil spirits. In fact according to folklore, people believe that the pungent smells provide protection and keep vampires at bay.
- Use as Medicine – as well as being yummy, garlic is rich in allicin containing many medicinal qualities. Used to treat a number of ailments from acne to the common cold, garlic has been a choice of medicine throughout the ages, featuring in Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek and Roman techniques. You can now even get supplements that are odourless, if you are worried about frightening off your friends and family as well as vampires!
- Highly Nutritious – a serving of garlic contains manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Selenium, Fibre, Calcium, Copper, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron and Vitamin B1 – making it one of the most nutritious plants about!
- Good for the heart – the bulb lowers your cholesterol levels, reduces your blood pressure and lowers risk the risk of heart disease – helping to keep you alive for longer!
So there you have it, our top 5 reason for why you should use garlic in all your cooking and even look into supplements.
Long live the garlic bulb!